Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Taboo

I sometimes I wish I could walk around with a buzzer. You know, like the one from the game Taboo?!? The reason why I want to walk around with a buzzer is so I can buzz people when they say the words that harm others.  Since Jackson’s diagnosis my ears have become more hyperaware of a word that is used in everyday language.  I will admit that I was a frequent user of this word and I had a hard time not using the word even after we found out that Jackson had Fragile X syndrome.  The meaning of this derogatory word is to make slow, delay the development or progress of, to be delayed.  The medical term is someone that has intellectual and developmental delays. I hear this word used just about every day.  Recently I have been going through this phase of keeping quiet about my feelings and letting use of the word anger and upset me instead of speaking up. I started taking it very personal because my sons diagnosis is mental impairment. If you haven’t figured out what word I am talking about, it is the R-Word.

I have talked this over with Sara for hours, trying to find the best way to discuss this topic with friends, family, and coworkers on use of this word that is bothering so much. Sara told me she saw a YouTube video a few months ago from Glee cast members Lauren Potter and Jane Lynch.  So I turned to Google and literally looked up “R-word”. The very first site that came up on my search was http://www.r-word.org. This site is exactly what I was looking for.   

So my challenge to all my friends, family, followers is….join me and take the pledge. SPREAD THE WORD TO END THE WORD! 

No comments:

Post a Comment